Heh.  Mine are the plain version, not the Arabesque, but yeah, I see.  I
have run 8s Shimano barcons, and didn't notice any roughness there, nor
with 8s or 9s Shimano DT shifters,  but they may have changed.

Funny, I remember when I bought my first new bike after five years off
(this would have been around '94 or so) I noticed it had indexed shifting
and asked the salespern if there was any way to disable it.

It's all good.