here's the best safety option for Honjo fenders - tire wipers - Compass
sells them.

<http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/bulldog1935/Raleigh/700c/aP5280024.jpg>

You can see them at the bottom of my fenders.  They keep Everything except
dust and water out of the fenders - they even scrape mud (within reason).
 No sticks, no rocks, no chert - they reject it all.  As far as clearance
goes, if you can see air, it's too much, and the fenders won't be able to
do their job.

<http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/bulldog1935/Raleigh/700c/aaaP3150005.jpg>