I LOVE Surly.  I was the one who put that "Racing Sucks" thread up on the
list here, and I know I've said that the LHT is a "copy" of the  All
Rounder - but I never meant to imply that they were followers and not
leaders in their own right.   I just find the similarities and parallels
between the companies as interesting as the differences.   Looking at the
bike industry as an outsider, I'm guessing that there will always some
subliminal cross-pollenation of ideas even between the true innovators, but
I also think it's possible for different people/companies to come to
similar conclusions in different ways.    I personally found and fell in
love with Rivendell because they shared convictions that I already had,
about the folly of letting racing drive fashion, and of advancing
"technology" strictly for marketing sake.  (And I'd never quit wearing
wool, either.)  I'm not convinced Surly isn't just coming from the same
place.  The irony, as we all know of course, is that BOTH companies
actually end up influencing design trends more than all others combined
- just in a positive way.  (Maybe Jeff Jones would be the only other in the
same category?)  But here's the thing:   Speaking as a mountain biker
foremost,  I'll even say that Surly, with their fat tire advancements and
smart bikes that are accessible to more people, has done *more* to improve
the sport than anyone in 30 years - including Rivendell.