Sorry for prior post, should have taken my question off-group.

From: rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com
[mailto:rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Tim Gavin
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 11:14 AM
To: rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [RBW] Re: Surly after Riv

Yeah, I hate those Riv guys, they just make copies of vintage Raleigh
Internationals and old French bikes.

--end sarcasm--

Most bike "problems" have been solved by our inventive ancestors.  Grant, Jan,
Sheldon and others have reminded us that almost every new product was first in
"The Data Book"<http://www.cyclepublishing.com/cyclingbooks/db.html> years ago.

Surly and Riv both do a good job of creating practical solutions for bicycles.
Grant does it with an emphasis on aesthetic, where Surly's designs are more
no-nonsense (and more approachably priced).

I applaud both for sticking to their guns and doing what they want, and for the
influence they've had on the industry in spite of what the "big guys" are doing.

At the same time, I don't feel I owe either brand my unending loyalty.  I don't
feel constrained to buy a Riv if I want a fancy country bike; now I could buy
from several makers of stylish bicycles (thankfully, I found a used Riv).
Similarly, I don't feel constrained to buy a Surly if I want a fat bike; I just
bought a Specialized Fatboy yesterday after much anguished comparison to
Surly's offerings (I work in a shop that carries Spec and Surly).

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 9:49 AM, iamkeith