No, didn't want to make it sound like Grant invented or even re-invented
the idea. But I think the *acceptance* of large tires on road bikes is
hugely a result of pushes he (and others!) made over the last 20 years. The
folks that run 42mm as their *narrow* tires aren't representative of the
recreational biking world, but I think the growth of bikes that can accept
a tire that large is significant. Just today, I tagged along with the local
bike club's weekend social ride, and I wasn't even the one with the fattest
tires there!

On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 12:08 PM, Mike Schiller <mikeybi...@rocketmail.com>
wrote:

> as far as I know... the demi balloon tire resurgence started in Japan with
> some die-hard French Cyclo-touring folks who got the Hetre made.  Jan
> imported them to the US and started riding that kind of bike.   Certainly
> Grant was an influence in parallel for fat tired bikes in today's market,
> and deserves some credit.  Also, many road bikes in the 70's and 80's had
> room for 32-35mm tires. Raleigh and Trek come to mind.
> There does appear to be a boom in that market today, but it's still a tiny
> fly on a donkey's  hind end in total bike sales.
>
> ~mike
> Carlsbad Ca.

Cheers,
David

Member, Supreme Council of Cyberspace

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal