Sorry for the rambling post but...
My wife is bike dreaming.
We have always had " His and Hers " bicycles since we were dating 38 years
ago. Motobecane Nomade and Mirage Mixte, Trek 820's guys frame and a girls
frame, Bianchi Hybrid's guys and girls, etc. They don't have to match
exactly but simply be a pair that " belong " together. A year ago I bought
myself a Sam Hillborne ( blue, web special ) which I am happy with. BUT,
for the first time, we don't match.
So...The problem is the Betty Foy has been discontinued and the Cheviot
colors are a turn off. She just doesn't want Orange and the Green looks
like puke to both of us. Many years ago a friend of mine said " never buy a
car or a bike or a house, no matter how good the deal if you don't like the
color, because every time you look at it, that will be your first thought
and you'll never be happy". I think he was right. It seems silly on the
surface, but these are things that you may be using and looking at every
day for decades. We still own the Motobecanes - 38 years and still in use.
:- )
 We have talked about buying a Cheviot and having it painted to better
suit. $$$ is an issue on an already expensive bike, plus I worry about the
durability. On cars, at least, the factory paint is always much tougher,
I've had terrible experience with repaints.
Is there any credible rumor of other colors coming down the pipeline (
since they just got the green I doubt it )?
We live in Virginia, so we can't just go take a look, maybe the Orange is
nicer in person? So my other thought is to buy the frame only and check it
out. Maybe we'll like it after all or if not have someone within driving
distance do a repaint and build it up myself.
2 questions. Who is recommended in our area. And what is the experience
with powdercoating? I understand it to be a really tough, durable finish
but can it be done to look nice also?