Not sure I agree with this. In the real estate world, for instance, prices are
set by “comps,” which are homes that have actually sold. If someone on my block
put his/her home on the market for ten times the typical price, it wouldn’t
budge prices for the other homes one bit … until it sells for that price.

At that point, it would tend to raise the potential price of the other similar
homes.

If Mr. High Priced eBay Guy is actually *selling* things at high prices, it
will encourage others to raise the prices of their items (or it will encourage
buyers to bid more so they don’t get outbid). If he’s just posting his items at
high prices while others keep selling the same items at lower prices, it
doesn’t seem to me that prices overall would go up.

eBay is an free marketplace where people pay what they want to (willing
seller/willing buyer). Nobody is holding a gun to anybody’s head to make them
pay too much. As a previous poster to this thread suggested, there are many
reasons why people pay high prices for something—think about this the next time
you buy a single, chilled bottle of soda at the checkout counter for the same
price as an unchilled sixpack a few steps away in the store.

—Eric N
campyonly...@me.com
www.campyonly.com
www.wheelsnorth.org