Ok, I'm rather late to this discussion but after 35 years of riding I have
set up and used a lot of brakes.  The two worst brakes I have ever had were
shimano (550?) cantis and an early, mid 80's diacompe canti. Both hard to
set up and poor stopping with shimano levers.  My favorite have been the
Paul's neo-retros.  They have been on a number of my bikes.  I have sold
the bikes but never the brakes.  I have had a lot of other brakes I really
liked.  Campy Grand Sport, which I have had for 25years and are still on my
winter bike.  Chorus & Ultegra side pulls. Great power, good modulation,
easy set up, but all needing regular attention.  I have the posted racers
on the tandem. and RacerM's on my Ram.

It's hard for me to compare the power of the Racers with the retros since
the loaded tandem weighs 400+ lbs.  However they do a pretty good job both
in stopping the tandem and in modulation.  My only complaint against them
has been the opening.  They are specked for 55mm fenders and 38 mm inflated
tires, although I have managed to get the VO 60mm fenders under them.  The
Racer Ms on the Ram are fabulous for a fendered bike with mid size tires on
them.  When all is said and done, though the Neo-Retros overcome all of
these problems.  I have swapped out the pads for shortys and so they open
up as wide as I need them.  They never interfere with any fender.  They are
incredibly powerful and when matched with tectro levers offer great
modulation.  My only complaint against cantis is because they sit below the
fenders, they get very dirty.

When I bought my first set of Paul's I had a hard time setting them up.
 Once I learned how to work with these brakes I have found them the easiest
brakes I own to set up and they hold that set up wonderfully.  If anyone
has a pair and is struggling with set up I would suggest studying their
instructions  http://www.paulcomp.com/shared/instructions/neoretro.pdf )
carefully and be patient with yourself.  After you have worked with them a
bit a light will go off and it will be very easy.  If you have worked with
other "modern" Cantis or CPs, its like switching from Windows to OSX.
 Confusion followed by, "Oh that's how you do it, simple."

Good brakes can be a lifetime investment.  I like that Paul sells all the
wear parts individually and at reasonable prices.  I expect these brakes to
outlive me by many, many years.

Michael