I'll bet they weren't as bad as my all-time tied losers:

Avid BB7 *road bike design* disks; absolutely useless even with 180 front
rotor, best housing and organic pads. The *mountain* design is very good.

Mafac Cantis, both single and tandem versions (salmons, of course and with
both OEM Mafac levers and modern Tektros. Professionals could not get these
to work.

Both kinds were good enough to ride the bikes with, but no pleasant.