Ah - you are correct. My imaginary backwards circular arrows are for pedal
removal only.

So, BB cups always (on British threaded BBs) unscrew toward the FRONT of
the bike? Righty-loosey on the right, lefty-loosey on the left?
And crank bolts are always lefty-loosey? Wrench rotates toward the back of
the bike on the right, and toward the front of the bike on the left.

I am updating my mental model now.

Thanks!
Philip
www.biketinker.com