I confess there was a secondary reason I bought the PDW kit.  This is on my
Rawland Stag.  I got a very swank custom fork for it.  When I re-installed
my Honjos, the front stays were a couple mm too short.  I ran 38s instead
of 42s temporarily, fretting massively on the idea that I needed to buy a
new fender stay.  The PDW kit allowed me to correctly adjust my fenders for
42s.  The added safety aspect was a bonus.