That radius cut ends right where the crack begins which is what I'd expect.
 That radius is there to relieve stress. Maybe a larger radius would help.
 Im more heavy duty applications, that area would be shot peened to relieve
more stress.  Glad that it happened at a red light and that VO is giving
you great service.