I put in a bottom bracket yesterday.  Just though I would share a simple
technique to avoid cross threading.  First off, reach through the other
side and support the spindle end with a least a fingertip to help with the
alignment.  Turn the threads the wrong way until you feel a slight bump of
the first thread lining up.  Then try threading the right way - it should
go in with no resistance.  If you feel resistance, immediately reverse
direction, feel again for the bump.  When you can make several turns
without feeling resistance, you're there.