In lieu of taking a strong position in cotton tape commodities, I had to
relegate my preference of the hand offered by the bare cloth and shellac.
It was for the all-weather capacity and lack of room to tote replacement
rolls on a long, super-fly cross country test ride of my Rambouillet.

To note: the perspiration or rain-moistened hand actually has an active
grip with the shellacked surface, polishing it over time. Improved
sensation of the bike's behavior was why I wasn't applying cork or plastic
"padded" tape or hiding squishy things under the cotton. The well-fit bike
took care of those issues without bodge.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh (where I hear a bird chirping out in the afternoon sun-drenched
snow, complaining about being the early bird)