As a woodworker, I've always found spar varnish to have decent
waterproofing capability but it tends to sit on top of the wood surface
more than the shellac that seeps in a little more.  It also tends to flake
after it sits outside for too long.  All that said, I've never tried it on
bar tape.  It does make me wonder if an oil finish designed for outdoor use
such as Watco's Teak Oil Finish might soak in better and protect while
retaining some of the tape feel (
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/146955/Watco-Teak-Oil-Quart.aspx?refcode=10INGOPB&gclid=CNS-7MT6jsQCFQeDfgodPVwArg).

I've had good luck with this on wood.  It doesn't build up as long as you
don't put too much on.  A couple of coats protects while still retaining
the porous texture of the wood.

I'd give it a go but don't have any Newbaum's lying around anymore.  Sorry.

John