The first bike my wife fell in love with was our Bilenky tandem.  We ride
together.  Although she sometimes feels out of control, she has more
confidence in my bike skills than in her own.   Now she follows the listing
for tandem rallies.  When I ask her if she wants to ride she always chooses
the tandem.  At the end of the 2013 season I bought her a Betty Foy.  She
refused to let me sell her 1984 Sequoia but now she rides the Betty around
town - to the library and stuff like that.  She takes it with her twice a
year when she goes to Quilt Camp.  She likes the easy on and off, the
upright position, the traditional handle bars and the sheer beauty of the
bike. I suspect it makes her feel  it like a grande dame.

I just asked my wife this question and she thought buying a tandem was a
great idea.  She added: do it slowly, make it fun for her, and always have
a designated destination - like her favorite burrito joint.

BTW the first rule of tendeming - "The stoker is always right."
Michael