BobbyB, thank you for the kind words,
I bought my "BW mountain troops rucksack" in used condition from a Store in
Finland (Varusteleka.com), a miltary surplus store.
That makes me the happy second owner, next after Heinz,Jürgen, Udo and
Karl, who at some point probably carried these rucksacks on their backs, (I
personally prefer to carry them on the bike..), no doubt these bags can
take a beating !  Once again thanks to Clayton for his very informative
instruction to convert these !
I believe that Clayton back in the day found some in new condition from
Cabelas ?
the front shifter on the downtube... ;
I spend most of my time in the middle ring (36t) of my triple crank with an
8 speed 11-32t on the back.
it gives a little more space for my handlebar bag (an old Swedish Gasmask
bag dated 1942)
I had an almost empty bottle of Whisky (Balvenie 21 year old Portwood with
the most beautiful wooden cork I thought would look nice on the barend)..it
does !
The only thing is, I still can not afford a Rivendell.
Best regards