"I may be predisposed to not love the tires it came with cuz my son said
they are slow/heavy. suggestions from this group? "

In my experience, people who tell me my tires are slow & heavy don't have
much experience with good quality chubby tires.  The impression of big
tires being slow is often based on experience with cheap MTB knobbies or
beach cruisers.  If your son is riding narrow high pressure tires it's no
surprise this would be his opinion.  I'd say to ride the bike as-is & see
how you feel about the speed.  I think Grant wrote about riding with people
who wouldn't leave you behind.  Our children, OTH, can be a special case.
If he's that fast, tell him to circle back.  He'll get more miles in that
way.

dougP