Well the M772 is a good choice for either 9 or 10 spd bar ends or
other road shifters. I am running a M772 Mid cage with 9spd barends
and it shifts flawlessly.

9spd is cheaper, more durable and friction is still an option on the
bar ends. I'm running it as a 42-29 double in front and 18spds seems
plenty for me.

-Dave J