I have always liked Brifters.  I often think my next bike I will switch
back to them. In my experience the breaking aspect of them is really
exaggerated.   I used to work at a bike shop and actually saw very few
failures ever.  Plus my previous commuter bike had 105 STI's and I never
had a problem with them, even after thousands of miles.