I left Friday after work around 6:30p and drove the three hours to Bethany
Beach.  Traffic crossing the Bay Bridge was light, a rare occurrence and good
omen of a great day on Saturday.  Heavy rain fell overnight from about 1-2am,
an event not well forecasted or I wouldn't have left the Atlantis locked to the
car rack uncovered overnight.  In hindsight, a foolish decision.

Saturday morning broke cool and foggy; a perfect morning at the beach.  We rode
the half mile from my friend's house to the start of the ride and were on our
way at 7:30am biking north on Route 1.  The fog limited visibility to a tenth
to quarter mile.  I was glad for the wide shoulder on that section of road.  As
we approached the turn off from Route 1 to go under the Indian River Inlet
Bridge, a beautiful cable stayed span, we could not see the bridge for the fog.
 However, It majestically appeared from the fog as we cycled under it, turned
back on to Route 1 and cycled south.  By 8:00am the fog was lifting as we
headed inland.  The sky turned blue, the temperature rose slowly to the mid
70s, and the humidity stayed away.  It was in short the perfect cycling day for
me.

The first rest stop was at Holt's Landing State Park at mile 18.  After leaving
there we were on to Selbyville, DE.  The crowds thinned and riders spread out.
We kept up a great pace and marveled at our almost effortless speed.  After
leaving leaving the rest stop in Selbyville, we cycled into Maryland and a head
wind.  We discovered that our previously mentioned speed had been aided by an
undetected tail wind.  Over the next 30 plus miles we alternated a tail and
head wind; we enjoyed and lamented each in turn.  We completed the 62 mile ride
in a little under 7 hours; we weren't racing, but we weren't rambling either.
The weather was perfect! The event was well organized with a well marked route.
 The scenery was great, and the roads mostly flat!  I am ready to ride the
route again and hope to be back next year.

My Atlantis received countless compliments to the point my riding partner gave
me a ribbing about it.  I spoke with one other Atlantis rider, who reported
seeing a third Atlantis.  I spotted no other Rivendells; sorry if we missed
each other.  Half way through, my bike developed a chronic ticking from the
drivetrain; likely a result of the overnight soaking.  And my saturated Brooks
saddle was broken in anew!  The Compass tires road well; I will order another
pair when these wear out.

Photos prove I road in the fog and sun on Saturday and didn't take many
pictures:  https://flickr.com/photos/86975051@N08/sets/72157649741097563

Safe cycling,
Erl