DS,
I have used 32 mm GB Cypres and ~41 mm Soma GR tires on my 650B AHH.
I will disent from the likely majority opinion and suggest you go with the
38 mm tires.
I found the 32 mm tires to be excellent for all the roads around me, and I
also rode them on local trails and fire roads with no problems. So I am
inclined to think 32 mm is wide enough. That said they did look a bit lost
in all that clearance, whereas the larger tires fill up the space nicely,
and there is no significant down side to going a bit wider.
I suggest the 38s over the 42s because they will pass the brakes inflated
more easily than the 42s (assuming your Sam doesn't have cantilever
brakes). Also if you want fenders come next fall, clearance and coverage
will be easier with the 38s. When I changed from 32 to 40+ tires I noticed
differences but they were modest enough that I doubt I would notice much
difference between 38 and 42. I suspect that 38 is the goldilocks size for
bikes like ours, particularly for virtually all paved road use.

If you are in the SF Bay area and we can work out the transfer, you can try
out my Cypres tires if you like. One has a small casing cut that should
probably be booted but otherwise they are fine.