I have p45 longboards over the Soma GRs on my AHH. That works fine for me,
particularly with a center pull front brake that let me get the fender a
touch higher, though all things considered I think I would prefer a touch
more room side to side. So I agree that you can run those fenders over
40+mm tires on these bikes.

One reason for choosing the 42s is that it is the only way to know for sure
how much you personally like the tires so many folks are raving about. If
you are curious I think trying them is the only way find out how big a
difference it will seem like to you. Until you do, you may always wonder if
you shouldn't be riding fatter tires.