Hi Sean,

I'm just a home mechanic, and I've done it.  It really wasn't that hard.  I
replaced the entire leather top with some saddle leather that I cut and
shaped and it's worked out really well.

I put it together with brass screws and nuts and honestly it's worked great
for 6 months like that, but I bought the copper rivets (which come in a box
of 100 or more)   I always intended to finish with the rivets.   I don't
think that's the hardest part, I've just been busy and it's so comfortable
that I don't want to stop using it.

In fact if you feel overwhelmed I might be willing to do it with you or for
you...if you are in the bay area.

did the bolt brake?  if the leather is still attached well to the nose
piece you might be able to replace the bolt without removing all the rivets.

Do you have photos of the problem.?

john