The Technomic is made in a 260mm that can be hunted out in UK and Japan
Quick shopping found this very inexpensive option from the UK available as
tall as you might want to go
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/humpert-cat-tube-quill-stem-1-inch-222mm-254mm-bar-clamp-40mm-prod32276/?geoc=us

As to your original question, I've always taken the tack that if you can't
see any of the insertion warning engraving you're doing OK