Dear Marc,

Three weekends ago, on my first 300K ride with the club in a couple of
years, "Wow, you updated a vintage bike. Who did the repaint? Where/when
was it built?"

"Well, the frame was built in Wisconsin for me in early April, and the
parts are mostly from the pile of stuff I collect in my shed. I did have to
machine a new compression cap for the steerer-mounted light switch." That
seemed to steer the conversation on the club ride either to how fit I must
be to keep up on a 'heavy' bike (sandbagging ensues, but I've got nothing
to back it up besides bronchitis and a lingering shoulder separation), into
deep bike geekery, or on to the probability of rain/headwinds (my preferred
outcome).

https://goo.gl/JYIho9

I've gotten one comment that bugged me (until it was hilarious):

"Is that a rental?"

"Yeah, nothing handles like one, either."

I liked that one even more than, "Wow, your right arm must get a workout."
(I was riding a bike with downtube shifters.)

Best,

Will
William M. deRosset
Fort Collins, CO