On 06/04/2015 02:14 AM, Lungimsam wrote:
How does a person pedal uphill with 50-60lbs on their bike.

Slowly?

It was all I could do to ride up 7% grades in my lowest gear at the end of the
last ride I did with just a light front handlebar load on the bike. My engine
was blown at the time but still..,

You do need lower gears, to be sure. There's a reason a loaded touring bike like a Bruce Gordon Rock 'n Road Tour comes with a 22T granny ring and a 32 or 34T large rear sprocket.