Neil,

When most people think of Ortleib panniers they picture those big glossy
plastic looking things people use on round-the-world tours.  You may be, as
I was, more interested in Ortleib's Sport Packer and/or Sport Packer Plus
lineup.  I went with the a pair of the Sport Packer Plus's.  The outer
surface has a cloth-like feel and appearance.  I particularly like the
brown but other colors are available. The basic difference between the
Sport Packer and the Packer Plus is that the Plus is smaller and intended
to be used as front panniers.  I do not yet have a front rack so I've only
used them as rear panniers for commuting purposes and I've only ever needed
one.  But it is very rare that I ever leave home without it.  The Ortleib
mounting system and shoulder strap can't be beat in my opinion.  I paid
$145 for the set at REI on sale.

Here's a review that gives more information than you will probably ever
need:

http://bicycletouringpro.com/blog/review-ortlieb-bike-packer-sport-packer-plus-bicycle-touring-panniers/

Hope this helps,

Matt

Interesting that the Ortlieb's work. I consider Ortlieb's overbuilt for my