I have always functioned as the family bike guru, but now my 4 1/2 year old
grandson needs a bike and I am out of my league.  I do know that the bike
his parents bought - a 12" wheel model - is too small.  They thought being
close to the ground was safer but he can't extend his leg enough.  I think
he will feel safe when he develops a sense of balance.  I also think
training wheels should be skipped or limited to a month or so.  If I were
buying I would put him on the smallest 20" wheel bike I could fit him on
and spend a lot of time in the traditional run behind mode.

No doubt some of you have taught a child to ride since I have - 35 years
ago.  Any learned wisdom welcomed.

Michael