Thank you Eunice. I'm glad to read about and see the good people you have there.

I have amazed by the random people that I've met online that knew
Seth. Simple things like selling something on Craigslist, or posting
on a mountain bike forum. A person will ask me "Did you know Seth?"
I'll sheepishly reply that I only knew him online and not in real
life.

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 7:26 PM, dougP <dougpn...@cox.net> wrote:
> Eunice:
>
> Thanks for taking the time to assembly those photos & post.  It's wonderful
> that a ride of remembrance continues.  It's said that so long as a person is
> remembered, that person is still with us.
>
> dougP
>

> On Friday, July 10, 2015 at 7:15:20 PM UTC-7, Eunice Chang wrote:
>>
>> I've been meaning to write this since last year.
>>
>> Most of you know Seth Vidal, who frequented RBW list and who was killed in
>> a hit and run two years ago. One of the things he liked was the ride
>> reports. He'd share them with me and we'd plan rides.
>>
>> I joined the list a few months after he died, mostly just to update the
>> group, but I've also read some of your ride reports, and they were very,
>> very helpful on getting me back on the bike and rediscovering a new, but
>> different, kind of joy that only bicycles can provide. I thought I'd
>> contribute as well. It's also my small way of saying thanks for your
>> support, intentional or not.
>>
>> I've organized rides of remembrance on the day he died, and I rode his
>> Hilsen in both cases. This year, a friend of mine borrowed my QB for the
>> memorial ride so two Rivs were well represented. :)
>>
>> The ride was roughly 2 miles- it was just a slow roll through the
>> neighborhood to the area where Seth was killed, to where the ghost bike was,
>> have a moment of silence, and then through a very short trail along Ellerbee
>> Creek and back to the starting point. We went to a pub later. The most
>> amazing thing was that when we all lined up in front of the ghost bike,
>> traffic actually slowed down (it almost never does- it's a 35 mph but since
>> it leads to highways on both ends, most folks go 45-50).
>>
>> I led the ride, but I am a terrible ride leader. Last year, I rode really
>> fast ahead of the pack and it became a joke (after years of riding the
>> tandem and having Seth tell me to pedal harder, it's kind of hard to break
>> the habit). This year a friend took me for an impromptu 14 mile ride the day
>> before and another friend made sure I had a few beers in before the ride. I
>> apparently still went too fast, and someone kind of had to chase me down to
>> make sure I waited for the group. And honestly, I tried to slow down. It's
>> not my fault Rivs are extremely efficient machines.
>>
>> And I would have taken photos, except I managed to destroy my camera with
>> the water from the bouquet of sunflowers (Seth's favorite) that I left at
>> the ghost bike. So I've collected others' into this album:
>>
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/ejchang/sets/72157655728650855
>>
>> Keep riding and writing. You never know who you might reach.
>>
>> -Eunice "still enjoying the ride" Chang

Cheers,
David

Member, Supreme Council of Cyberspace

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal