Thank you all for your advice. It was really helpful, especially the bit
about how the captain can hold the bike during mount/dismount.

The ride is only 11 miles and with like 100 other folks so it's not
particularly fast. You could say I would be there just to enjoy the
ride...but it does give me a good incentive to seek other tandem captains
in the future.

Interesting fact: I'm deaf, so I don't rely on voice commands or hand
signals when on a tandem - mostly I focus on the rhythm and on the streets
when it comes to stops, bumps, and turns. Most of the time I actually do
all the talking (maps, etc) especially if the captain is talking to someone
else in the group and not paying attention to the road. :)

-E.