On 07/29/2015 05:53 PM, Eric Norris wrote:

There are all kinds of fun, including the kind that involves dressing up in lycra, swinging your leg over a carbon wonderbike, hitting the bike path, and believing in your own mind, for just a little while, that you’re leading the pack up the Alp d'Huez.

I repeat: Where’s the harm in that?

Even a single rider riding like that on the local MUP is a great way to cause accidents, plenty of harm there.

Then, there was the local racing club that used to come out en mass, 30+ strong, on a Friday morning and ride from Arlington north to downtown DC on the Mount Vernon Trail in a double paceline that liteerally took up both lanes of the bike trail. Commuters headed south were forced off the trail onto the grass, and I saw a crash at the construction zone at one of the bridges at National Airport as a south-bound rider was forced off the trail. Plenty of harm there.

I wrote to the president of that club and told them if they didn't stop I'd contact the Park Service and get them banned from using the trail, and that ride ended.