Well, if you are a member of a warehouse club like Costco or Sams there are
things like this:

https://www.costcopaymentprocessing.com/

I've never seriously looked into other services besides Paypal but your
tale of woe has me thinking about it.  1.38% + 19c per transaction is less
than PayPal's fees or Square's fees for mobile transaction processing.

So I called them...the minimum is more or less $1000 minimum in sales or
you get a $20 monthly fee and you have to have some sort of online
storefront where you own the domain.  Not so practical for the occasional
seller...

There's also services like Chase Pay where they do PayPal like processing
but that requires one party or the other to have a Chase bank account,
which I don't, but might consider if I sold stuff more regularly online.
But I think it only works with checking acounts:

https://www.chase.com/online/digital/quickpay.html