Regarding friction and 9 speed: I've shifted 9 and 10 speed cassettes,
both stock and home-brew (9 sp), with both down tube and Power Ratchet
friction shifters, on and off road -- no particular problem; I did not
find it any harder than with 7 or 8. Perhaps I have very sensitive and
caring shifting fingers, so YMMwellV. Or perhaps I just didn't care
about shifting precision. Or perhaps it's just practice.

FWIW again, you can develop to a surprising degree the ability to
climb in higher gears, as I did when I switched to fixed and ss
exclusively, but then again, that's a matter of taste, too. (I'm 54
and have been averaging about 3K miles a year, so I'm no Lance.)

In any event, please describe (and link photos of) your solution.

--
Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM