Christopher Murray wrote:

> The public shaming received from Grant is both cowardly and shameful. If
> you don't want to replace it then tell the customer and if you do want to
> replace it then do it graciously. I have handled hundreds (maybe thousands)
> or returns for both good and bad reasons and have never seen a company act
> like Rivendell/ Grant has acted.

Agreed.

Replace the shifters and send an apology email, or don't replace the
shifters and send an explanatory email. And sign your name to it.

You never, ever, ever take the customer to the mat in public.

I will have handled a least a thousand service related gripes of varying
degrees in this year alone. Had I ever approached a yardstick's length of
this level of wrongmaking anywhere but internally, I'd be tidying up my
resume.

Everyone I've ever dealt with at RBW has been nothing short of stellar on
any and every issue. It's good to be the king and all, but the invariable
"Aww, shucks" retreat (or post deletion) only really works on the
indoctrinated.

Jeff Hagedorn
Los Angeles, CA USA