Thank you all! I'm not ready to search for new pedals just yet. I have
these and I have shoes and I know that combo works. We're in to cooler days
now, so it's less an issue to wear shoes (plus everything has got to seed
and dried up, and that adds barefoot fun!).

Michael, yes the most likely culprit is the surgery and accompanying shots
they gave me having metal in them (how stupid is that?). They did a CT scan
with contrasting dye rather than an ultrasound to see if my appendix needed
to come out. Why, I now have no idea as it adds time to the process and
junk into me and costs more (they wouldn't do that, would they?). But the
timing is suspect. Surgery one year ago, recovered amazingly and had one of
the best winters I've ever had in terms of brain energy, warms up and I
start riding barefoot again. Bang, weird muscle issues start up.

RJM: Volcano dirt. http://www.myinsidehealth.com also, diatomaceous earth
is a similar idea. It chelates with metals and removes them from the body.
The usual "you may feel worse before you feel better" caviates apply. In my
case, I've gotten better faster than I thought, including the ability to
write again, which has been gone since last Fall. Muscle twitching is
almost non-existant now.

With abandon,
Patrick