I followed a similar path and got a pair of "army" (not sure which army)
wool pants at good 'ol Andy & Bax in Portland. Heavy duty wool and buttons
- took them to a local seamstress and had them converted to knickers - all
in they were about $55 - they are very good for the winter but a bit of
overkill for the rest of the seasons.
Dennisin PDX