If it helps, a lot of what people spend their money on is self-medicating
something else they are miserable about in their life.

A former co-worked joked after going back to grad school, "yeah, my income
has dropped by about 90%, but I'm saving so much on hookers and booze I
hardly notice the difference."

Personally, about 7 years ago I quit work and took a personal a sabbatical.
I can say almost the day after I walked out the door, and for the duration
of my sabbatical the long list of "stuff" that I had wanted and been saving
up for prior to my quitting lost all its desire to me. I was completely
contented with what I had and more than happy spending my time on doing
stuff that interested me and had personal meaning. It was remarkable, and
totally unexpected in its degree.

If the homestead experience is something you've always wanted to do, and
it's going to give you a lot of personal fulfilment, then I can almost
guarantee you won't miss the Clem and you'll probably even marvel at your
state of mind that had you sending your original email. On the other hand,
if you're going into the homestead as kind of a last resort/escape from the
broken middle-class economy we as a nation have found ourselves in, well,
odds are you're going to find it tough going with or without the Clem. If
you think having it around will be a source of life's small pleasures, go
ahead and get it. If you think it will be a source of friction and
resentment, by all means pass.

Best Regards,
-Allan