I do have a saddlebag, but it's too small in the winter and it's
canvas, I don't want to soak it.   I already have a nylon 'trunk' bag
which is perfectly sized, but I don't need the support of the big
rack.

Nitro R14: too nice, too expensive, a target for thieves. I sometimes
park in dodgy spots.

The "hupe":  a saddlbag support, won't work with a rectangular trunk
bag.

Tubus "fly": also very expensive.

Mark's rack - close to what I want, but too expensive, too short
horizontally

Basically the need is for winter, to stow bulky but lightweigh items
like a sweater.  I know, I'm being difficult here. I had some dim
memory of Riv making a sort of partially supported rear rack.
Actually I'm thinking about making something myself.