Hey, I wear my helmet all the time, but…The article fails to mention
several OTHER important facts. Because of this, the study simply can’t be
taken seriously. You simply can’t pick only the facts that support your
desired conclusion; you must weigh all the facts. Those advocating helmet
laws can't ignore other inconvenient facts that don’t support their
conclusion. That’s not how science works, and anyone who ignores
established and pertinent facts when making their conclusion shouldn’t be
taken seriously. Let’s start by granting their single fact that helmets may
reduce injuries in the event of a crash. This single fact has to be weighed
against the other proven facts before we can arrive at a conclusion that
mandatory helmet laws save lives.

Fact 1: Mandatory Helmet Laws reduced ridership. This has been proven over
and over again in study after study.

Fact 2: Bicycling in general is safer with more bicycles on the road.
Drivers get used to seeing bicycles and become accustomed to them. The
drivers then act more safely around bicycles. This is also well documented.

Fact 3: Bicycling is much safer than they represent when the risk of
bicycle injury is weighed against other known risks. Many, many, more
people would be saved by mandatory helmet laws for pedestrians and
motorists. Around 4,500 pedestrians and 45,000 motorists are killed in
accidents each year in the U.S. The percentage of these people who would
have reduced injuries with a helmet is similar to that for bicyclists. Why
not save these people as well? I’ll take these people seriously when they
propose a UNIVERSAL helmet law for everyone instead of just for bicyclists.

Fact 4: Around 600 bicyclists die each year in the U.S. but well over
300,000 die of obesity and lack of exercise related diseases. The reduced
ridership caused by mandatory helmet laws would cause more deaths from
reduced health status than would be saved by helmets.

All “studies” that argue for mandatory helmet laws ignore the above facts.
Find me a study that doesn’t and then we can reopen the helmet wars. In the
meantime…yawn.