Hi Drew, use to have a Sam. Ive used dia compe centerpulls, Paul racers, and
tektro 559s.

Dia compe were a bit mushy. Tektro 559s were easiest to set up, and I like the
quick release for bigger tires. But braking power was still weak.I switched to
Kool Stop, which made it better, but not as well as my Paul Touring Canti bike.
Had a few times going downhill in the city with high traffic that was not
confidence-inspiring.

I moat recebtly had the Paul's on my Sam. They are my favorite of the three.

Braking is very noticeable improvement. Glad to spend extra money for brakes,
as they can sometimes be the difference in an unexpected collision (DC drivers
are not the best at looking in the bike lane before turning).

Sold my Sam but moving the Paul's to my Soma San Marcos. Also acquired a
Cheviot. Putting Paul Racer on the front, and 559s on the back, mainly to not
have to deal with setting up the extra long straddle cable.

There's a reason why a lot of the staff bikes have Paul Racers on them.

You can easily make up the cost by getting cheaper derailleurs
(deore/altus/claris) and cheaper crankset (Riv sugino) and cheaper stem and
cheaper seat post.

Hope that helps.