I dunno about that.  Maybe it's not possible to overthink gearing, but it's
possible to spend too much time thinking about the gearing on your bike
when one should be thinking about more pressing things, like work, family
member's cancer treatment, pregnant wife, house maintenance, volunteer
obligations, etc, etc...

It's a guilty pleasure to obsess over your bicycle configuration, one that
I partake of quite frequently...

Oh well :)

Jim