Maybe just read what it says on the Rivpage:

" ... Trivia: These are actually made for shifting Sturmey archer internal
gear hubs (SunRace bought Sturmey-Archer several years ago). We figured out
that — easily and slickly and with no monkey business, but just a slight
factory switcheroo, they work with derailer gears. At first we thought this
required mounting the right one on the inside of the bar and lefty on the
outside, but then Spencer here figured out that a SunRace right bar-end
shifter lever on a left SunRace pod allowed perfect symmetry, as though it
were ordained from on high. SunRace was delighted, too.

Use: They click but don’t index. Out of the package and not on a bike, they
click about 18 times. In the span of shifting over a 9-sp cassette, they
click about 13 times....."