If falls somewhere in between friction & index; if you are used to friction,
these will be easy to like! If you are used to the no nonsense, right every
time kind of thing you get with index shifting, it's going to be more of a
harsh adjustment.
I took my Clementine to a bike shop for them to a scope out/ride and they
seemed to love them, which surprised me a little; they especially liked the
inside the bar placement & raved about how "iintuitive" the whole set-up was!