I've done a lot of riding on 3-speed equipped bikes, including my venerable
(first gen) Quickbeam, which I converted from a fixed gear several years ago.
Only very seldom have I had to resort to the 24-inch gear (two feet).

Remember that, back in the day, bikes with 3-speed IGHs were much more common,
and were used for the same type of riding that we now do with 21-speed
bicycles. There's much to said for the simplicity of a 3-speed bike.

--Eric N
www.CampyOnly.com
CampyOnlyGuy.blogspot.com
Twitter: @CampyOnlyGuy