On 12/28/2015 02:19 PM, Eric Norris wrote:
I've done a lot of riding on 3-speed equipped bikes, including my venerable (first gen) Quickbeam, which I converted from a fixed gear several years ago. Only very seldom have I had to resort to the 24-inch gear (two feet).

Remember that, back in the day, bikes with 3-speed IGHs were much more common, and were used for the same type of riding that we now do with 21-speed bicycles. There's much to said for the simplicity of a 3-speed bike.

Much to be said about the inadequate low gear offered by a 25% reduction and the monstrous, enormous step up to a high gear that is 33% higher, too. Some of the 4 speed Sturmeys offered a much better selection of gears, in my opinion.