Another thing to consider with the Sunrace thumb shifter is that it may not
work well with your particular brake lever if you want to use the
Riv-preferred orientation. When I installed mine alongside a Shimano Deore
T610 lever (which has its clamping screw to the *inside* of the bar), I
found that the shift lever interfered with the brake lever's clamp (as
shown in the photo below). When the shifter is moved farther forward to
clear the clamp, it's then too far forward to operate with my thumb with my
hand still on the grip area.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-RcdC0rk4Cf8/Vq02MyVbXxI/AAAAAAAAAz0/W8MSMiI-Xh8/s1600/rsz_p1290003.jpg>

It was a simple fix to rotate the shifter 90 degrees and re-adjust the
cable housing end:

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-51Po_AQ0RS4/Vq02SFd9wzI/AAAAAAAAAz8/ZwSKBFQoLjI/s1600/rsz_p1300002.jpg>

We’ll see how this arrangement goes, once I finish with the build (I'm
going with a 1x8 drivetrain). If it doesn't work out -- this, plus the
shifting issues mentioned by others -- I’ll switch to a bar-end shifter.

Bob E