Brian,

I'm certainly with you on the "blinding issue". But there are smartly
designed battery lights as well. I have the Ixon Core battery powered
lights made by Busch & Müller and there are a few others. It seems that the
Germans have cornered the market on intelligently designed beam patterns. I
think it is due to German legislation that we should copy here.

Doug