Hey Bill, just for my own clarification, these Clem shifters have "click"
indexed stops. My understating of friction shifters is that they are without
the indexing click stops.

So what happens is that the shifter wants to find the click, the index point
and rest there. But that's not the right place so you have to pass it and come
back or find a intermediate spot. You'll see soon enough what we're talking
about especially if you are riding hills.

 there are plain friction and 8 speed indexed shifters available. I can't
figure out why Riv went this way? Can you?