"Unfortunately, though I would like it to be the case,  it is not. And
without moving the stems, or seeing a photo where they are not parallel, it
would be easy to assume that they go the other way, but the shifters are
oriented correctly in the photos I posted above. (See photos below.
Remember the part where I said I have installed shifters before?;^)"

My apologies.  I was unaware that Suntour made different models in
different orientations.  I was only familiar with the bikes I assembled at
the bike shop in the mid 1980s.  All of those had that single phillips head
screw that tightens the clamp facing the rider.  The way you have it, it's
flipped around, facing down the road.  Googling "suntour stem shifters" you
can see examples of both orientations.  Most of them are the way I'm
familiar with, but undoubtedly some are flipped around, like yours.  That's
why it looks backwards to me.  I can't think of a reason why Suntour would
make some models with the clamp one way and other models with the clamp
flipped around.  Maybe the clamp part is symmetric and you can remove the
shifters+flip the clamp+ put the shifters back on.

"As for "perfectly lined up", I'm not sure what that means. In my
experience, unless a frame or der. mech is bent, setting up a friction
shift system is a pretty straightforward operation having to do with cable
tension."

What I mean by "perfectly lined up" is that you are an experienced rider.
You know how to shift.  You know when you've shifted correctly to the right
gear.  If the shifter fails to hold the derailer in that position by
slipping or drifting, then the shifter should be fixed or replaced.  If on
the other hand, the shifter succeeds in holding the derailer in the correct
position, but you still get grinding or skipping or other drivetrain noise,
then you've got a drivetrain problem.  Steve correctly pointed out to look
for a stiff link in your chain, which would cause a clunk and a skip every
three or four pedal revolutions.  If there's a hanging chain pin sticking
out from the factory or from your rebuild, that could also skip and clunk
as it comes around.  Something isn't right.  The symptoms are
unacceptable.  You do everything right from a rider's perspective as a very
experienced and your bike doesn't work.  I'd be happy to diagnose it for
you, but I think you are in the East and I'm in Calfornia.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA